Sunday, July 13, 2008

Bobby Murcer - Yankee for Life

What a sad day for baseball fans everywhere. Yesterday one of the greatest Yankee players passed away of brain cancer. True Murcer did not have the numbers of say Mantle or DiMaggio, but his mark on Yankee fans everywhere was just as powerful.

I was too young to have seen him play but Bobby was the TV guy we watched when I was a kid watching Yankee Games. Him and Rizzuto. What great memories. I still remember Bobby taking off Rizzuto's hat and playing with his hair on air in the broadcast booth. I wish I can find only find that clip...

Watching him during the old timers game showing off his Temporary Tats (The Superman Logo / Barbwire) flexing his biceps to Jason Giambi.

And the Game winning HR Giambi hit and the call From Bobby with his slurred speech was another one of those memories that I will never forget.

And although I didn't see it, The memorable 5RBI (the only runs scored in the game) he put up after the death of his best friend Thurman Munson was one of the most underrated feats mentioned that has happened in baseball..

It wasn't until he left the booth for treatment that you realized how much you liked him as a broadcaster.. And then when he came back! Thank god! Boy did I miss listening to his perspective! Hes cured! Bobby's Back!

For true Yankee fans the passing of this great Yankee will be one of those "I remember where I was when Kennedy was assassinated" type of moments.

I am watching YES as I type this and how many people they have on talking about Bobby. And one thing is for sure.... He was a great guy that everyone loved and many people looked at Bobby as their hero. Truly a sad day... Specially on the eve of the All Star Game at Yankee Stadium.

No comments: